CHICKEN AND MUSSELS PAELLA STYLE
- Boil tahong in 4 cups water with ginger until shells open. Discard half of shells. Reserve 3 cups of stock.
- In a pan or paellera, heat oil and add achuete seeds. Sauté until achuete color bleeds out. Discard seeds.
- In achuete oil, brown chicken pieces (reserve marinade) then add rice, laurel, bell pepper and chicken marinade. Mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour 2 cups tahong stock. Bring mixture to boil. Lower heat and cover pan with foil. Cook until rice is tender and chicken cooked through, about 30 minutes. Add more stock or water during cooking as needed. Lift foil cover and add Baguio beans in the last 3-5 minutes of cooking.
- Top with cooked mussels just before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
(Yield: 6 cups/1 cup per serving)