HOMEMADE CORNED BEEF
Home Foodie Three
- Combine water, salt, sugar, ascorbic acid and salitre. Mix well.
- Pat-dry beef. Prick meat with an ice pick to allow the brine to penetrate.
- Soak in prepared solution for 1 week.
- Discard solution and pat-dry meat.
- Transfer meat in a saucepot then pour in water to cover the meat.
- Add bay leaf, peppercorns, and garlic.
- Allow to boil then let simmer, covered until meat is tender (about 3 hours).
- Sliced across the grain into 1-cm thick pieces.
- If desired, serve with boiled cabbage wedges, potatoes and carrots.
- To serve, arrange corned beef on a serving platter with cooked vegetables.
- Pour some broth on meat and vegetables and serve with mustard and horseradish.